Taking on this role improves time management skills.
One of the skills Toastmasters practice is expressing a thought within a specific time. The timer is responsible for monitoring time for each meeting segment and each speaker. As Timer, you:
- Acquire the timing/signaling equipment from the sergeant at arms and know how to operate it.
- You will be called upon twice in the meeting, at the beginning and the end by the General Evaluator.
- The first time you are introduced explain the timing rules and demonstrate the colored flash cards for the First, Second and Final signal.
- Throughout the meeting, listen carefully to each participant and signal them accordingly.
- Record each speakers time.
- When called upon by the General Evaluator to report, announce the speakers’ names and the time taken.
- After the meeting, return the timing/signaling equipment to the sergeant at arms.